Today’s announcement about 5e was something of a shock to me. I had expected it to be a movie or computer game announcement. For those of you that follow this blog, you know that I’ve been working on a set of surveys to get a feel for what the community thinks and feels about 4e. There was a moment this morning where I considered just chucking them, as it sounds like the concrete of 5e has already started to set (one of the people who went to the super-secret meeting took away a photo of the 5e cleric he played, he just isn’t allowed to release it yet), but then it occurred to me that these might be more relevant than ever. I had planned on adding a section on Time and Travel to the first survey, but I’d like to get this up today.
- This is a generic survey about D&D and 4e.
- As this is an internet survey, you’re on the honor system. Make me proud. 🙂
- Please feel free to give feedback.
- Yes, an email address is necessary. It’s the simplest way to reliably tag responses if someone wishes to have their data removed.
- This survey deals with adult themes and concepts. If such things upset you or you have little to no interest in them, then feel free to skip this survey.
- The age requirement is different for this survey (you need to be 18 instead of 14).
Edit: I’ve been asked by a couple of people why I felt the need to ask the questions in part II. At first, I didn’t want to explain because I was afraid that it would bias the answers, but it now feels more important to clear up my intent. There has long been a theory that roleplaying games provide a safe environment for personal exploration. I wanted to see, as best I could, whether or not that was true. The gaming community is also predominantly male. I wanted to see if the environment makes more extreme behavior more permissible than it would otherwise be. Much of it was also simple curiosity. I did not include these questions because I “think sexual assault is fun” or any similar nonsense (I don’t. I take it very seriously). If those topics offend you, then please don’t take the survey.
I intend to have the GM’s section and the “edition wars” section (which has taken on a whole new dimension…) finished later this week. If you have questions you would like to see in either of those surveys, please send them to email@example.com.