CAUTION: The Evil GM assumes no responsibility for the loss of fun, disruption of campaigns and potential loss of friendship if these characters are used in anything but a “fourthcore” setting.
That said, this 5-man is designed to have high synergy and to crush most encounters. It does so by abusing to-hit penalties and stacking high defenses.
- All five of the characters have Dragonfear and have high Strength or Charisma.
- As many of the characters as possible have Evil Eye of the Vistani.
- The characters are more tuned for hit than maximum damage. Where possible, they have Couters of Second Chances.
- Skills: I will admit that I was a little lazy on making sure that the party has a character trained in every skill. If you see something that you lack, feel free to adjust the backgrounds accordingly.
- Themes: While I think that Guardian’s Counter is excellent tech, there’s nothing that would prevent any character from taking Wizard’s Apprentice and there are no limitations on the item that can be selected for the level 5 benefit. This means that you could have a +2 enhancement at two out of the three slots (weapon, armor, neck).
Heskan (Paladin): If you read my earlier article on defenders for Lair Assault, this character should come as no surprise. Enfeebling Strike will be your bread and butter attack. (Healing: 3 daily, plus Cloak of the Walking Wounded)
Nanyez (Fighter/Cleric Hybrid): I’ll admit that I was first drawn to Battle Cleric’s Lore because I believed that you could boost the Fighter’s DPR without sacrificing defenses (Hit Points have to be lower, by definition). That’s not as easy to pull off as I had hoped, but it does open up some very powerful options. In this case, Nimbus of Holy Shielding is a wrecking ball. (Healing: 1 encounter, plus Cloak of the Walking Wounded)
Sora (Warlord): This character has the least tech of the five. There aren’t any tricks or gimmicks on this frame. Instead, it has comparable hit points and defenses with the Fighter, making it a potential third hard point in the party formation. (Healing: 2 encounter. 1 daily AoE. Remember Healer’s Broach.)
Uono (Sorcerer): This character is only slightly more tricksy than the Warlord and that’s because I gave it some AoE/controller-type powers. The only potential change that I can think of is swapping out Vistani Heritage for Distant Advantage.
Sources of Hit Penalties (other than marks)
- Underhanded Tactics
- Enfeebling Strike
- Go for the Eyes (until end of encounter, no save)
Area Power Bonuses to Defenses
- Hallowed Circle (daily, +1 to all in zone)
- Nimbus of Holy Shielding (daily, +2 to allies in the burst)
- Bastion of Defense (daily, +1 to allies, must hit)